DIY Christmas: Personalised Map Artwork

24 Nov 2013


Firstly, I do apologise for the awful quality of this photo!! I actually made this present last Christmas and this was the only photo I could find of it. That aside, I really wanted to share this idea with you as I think its a really easy but thoughtful gift.

I originally saw this idea on the treasure trove of a website 'Not on the High Street' which is full of personalised gits. You can look at the original idea here, which while lovely and professional looking is a whopping £85. Aside from the fact that I didn't have £85 to spend on the artwork, I also thought making it myself would be easier and a lot more thoughtful.

As I already had a piece of plain card all I needed to buy was a photo frame. I bought mine from Urban Outfitters as they always do really lovely frames and they're never too pricey either! They don't do this frame any longer, but realistically any frame you like will do. A bigger frame is an advantage however as the map hearts will look better. You could even buy a frame that has three different sections, its up to you, which is the beauty of this DIY.

Next you'll need to decide on three locations to use that are personal to whoever you're gifting. As I made this frame for my best friend, I chose London, Lancaster and Wollongong in Australia. I made London the biggest heart as that is where she was born, Lancaster was where she went to University and Wollongong was where she spent a year studying. I did want to have vintage looking maps for this but it was really hard to find maps that were clear enough to print. You can find the maps however you like, though obviously google is the easiest option.

Finally you are ready to assemble! You want to draw a heart on the map around the area that you want, then cut them out. Then stick these onto your backing card in any pattern you like, and voila! You're done!

This DIY really is so simple, but I think its a really sweet idea and will definitely show that you've put a lot of thought into the gift. I hope you liked it! I'll be back next Sunday with another Christmas DIY.

Aimée
Xxxx

9 comments :

  1. This is such a great idea!!
    Alice x
    missalicethecamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely idea, I'm poor this year and I was worrying about buying presents for my girls but I'm thinking I just might have to make them some of these, they'd love them :) x
    RosalieJayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh yay! I'm so glad it helped you this Christmas :) Xxx

      Delete
  3. such a cute idea :)

    xx Vivi
    http://frostedpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I made this a while ago! It is so cute & everyone compliments it, really lovely piece. :) x

    Živa from Nothin' Fancy. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like this. I'm all into DIY gifts! (isn't any creative poor student haha). Will keep this idea in mind :)
    Rach x

    ReplyDelete